OK, let me see if I have this straight, with an external server playing
24/96 files works fine, is this using wired or wireless? Does it play
fine any compression level (-0 -5 -8 etc)?

The problem occurs when playing the 24/96 file off a USB drive
connected directly to the Touch, correct?

If this is the case its fairly understandable. The builtin server takes
up a lot of memory leaving almost no free memory. My guess is that the
higher level decoding takes a larger chunk of code or larger buffers
which pushes things over the edge.

The stuttering sounds like there isn't enough memory to hold everything
in memory all at once so the memory manager swapping stuff in and out of
memory as it switches between the server and the player.

In order to get things to work better you need to cut down on the
memory used, any little bit helps. One thing that takes memory is the
sharing of the USB drive over the network. If you have turned this on,
turn it off and see if that improves things. Also things like don't run
the image viewer at the same time, don't use the spectrum analyzer or VU
meters. If the tracks have artwork you might want to try using the now
playing screen that doesn't show artwork.

If none of that helps then it looks like your options are to run with
-0 if you want to run with the builtin server, OR run off an external
server.

IF you are running off an external server (and you don't have a USB
drive plugged in) and you STILL have problems with 24/96 FLAC then we
have some more detective work to do.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson