perose;538258 Wrote:
> OK WIFI pretty much sucks for security but your analogy is a bit flawed.
> If I have a friend or need an emergence vehicle to find me I'm happy to
> share the info. And if the SSID is sent in the clear in every packet
> why won't the Touch find it? Just wondering....

The analogy isn't flawed: would you go out and rehang the house numbers
for those friends?

That's what you're doing with SSIDs.

As for why the Touch doesn't always see the SSID is because it's only
sent when something is broadcast.  No network activity, no SSID unless
you broadcast it.  Any network activity and the SSID is all over the
place.

install a wireless sniffer on a laptop, and ye shall see.

Hiding your SSID doesn't do a thing for security.  Removing your house
number doesn't make your house invisible.

--
snarlydwarf