Use both John Swenson's and wimpf's ideas simultaneously.

the rcS.local file turns of the power it's very off then.

wimpf's edit the wlan startup script unloads some modules at start up.
These used 1% and 2% cpu sbut anyway.

I also removed the wlan0 interface completely from my
/etc/network/interfaces file

Maybe one could use netstumbler to try to see it, if one is unsure ?

It's good enough for my purpose turn it off the save me the cpu/mem
overhead to be used by other stuff.

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J and assorted amps SiriuS,
Classe'Primare and Dynadio speakers (including a pair of Contour 4 )
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Miscellaneous use: Radio (with battery)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this