JohnSwenson;540910 Wrote:
> The driver is in the kernel and automatically gets activated when the
> USB DAC is attached.
>
> After plugging in the DAC you can ssh in and do aplay -l to find the
> device name. The alsa interface in squeezeplay sends to "default" so
> the simplest way to get data to the USB dac is to redefine default to
> be the USB DAC.
>
> Currently in the alsa config file there is a virtual card defined which
> clones its input to both the S/PDIF and DAC drivers. That virtual card
> is then set to default. You can add the USB DAC to the virtual card as
> well and then you have all three playing at the same time.
>
> One thing to look out for is that the device name and or card number is
> different depending whether the DAC is present at boot or hotplugged. So
> always do it the same way.
>
> That should be enough to get you started.
>
> John S.

THX a lot. Plugged the card in a while ago to see that it is recognised
and the module is there.

card 0: TXRX [MXC SPDIF TX/RX], device 0: MXC_SPDIF [MXC_SPDIF]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: default [USB Audio DAC   ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: fab4 [fab4], device 0: fab4-ak4420 []
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Somehow the Wolfson is thrown out on aplay -l  and shown in
/proc/asound/cards - a bit weired. And the jive_alsa process for
"default" is not coming up (havn't changed the asound.conf yet). I'll
check it out later.
"jive_alsa default" sends out 24bit. Perhaps that'll be a problem on my
PCM 2707-16bit.

Did you figure out if there is a way to assign indexes ( as done on non
embedded distros) to the cards? Would be nice to be able to assign the
USB card to e.g. card 2  if 24bit would cause any problems.

Anyhow. THX a lot for now. I gotta feeling that things get too
complicated.
Jumping from here to there.

BTW: Did you see that the /proc/asound/version shows 1.0.16 and aplay
--version is giving you 1.0.18 !?!? Hmmh.

Cheers

--
soundcheck