mortslim;545523 Wrote:
> The New York Times just published an article on many of the issues
> mentioned in this thread:
>
> "In Mobile Age, Sound Quality Steps Back"
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/10/business/media/10audio.html
>
> An interesting point made in the article is that audio engineers are
> now not even creating good quality recordings anymore:
>
> "So audio engineers, acting as foot soldiers in a so-called volume war,
> are often enlisted to increase the overall volume of a recording. '
>

> So even if you buy a socalled hi def recording, the engineering process
> many times has messed up the mastering to such an extent that it is not
> even worth listening to on a high quality playback system.
>
> See also the reader's comments to the article that sheds more light on
> the subject.
> http://community.nytimes.com/comments/www.nytimes.com/2010/05/10/business/media/10audio.html?sort=oldest

Mortslim, taking quotes out of context changes their meaning. What was
actually written was:" Pop artists and their labels, meanwhile, shudder
at the prospect of having their song seem quieter than the previous song
on a fan’s playlist.

So audio engineers, acting as foot soldiers in a so-called volume war,
are often enlisted to increase the overall volume of a recording."

If you read the article carefully and in context, it is clear that the
article is referring to and generalizing about popular music, and not
jazz and classical.

So the conclusion:

"So even if you buy a socalled hi def recording, the engineering
process many times has messed up the mastering to such an extent that
it is not even worth listening to on a high quality playback system."

Isn't backed up by the article. I think that conclusion is more of a
product of your mission to try and convince us all that hi-res files
are pointless, in spite of many examples we can hear that prove
otherwise.

In addition, much of the article deals with lossy compression (and I'm
not sure the author clearly understood the difference between "volume
compression" and "lossy compression" in files). Interesting article as
far as it goes, but it certainly doesn't shed any new light on the
topic of hi-res files.

--
firedog

Tranquil PC fanless WHS server running SqueezeServer; SB Duet through
Empirical Audio Pace Car; MF X-150 amp, MF V DAC3, Devore Gibbon Super
8 Speakers; Mirage MS-12 sub; Dual 506 + Ortofon 20 (occasional use);
sometimes use PC with M-Audio 192 as digital source. SB Boom in second
room. Arcam CD82 which I don't use anymore, even though it's a very
good player.