mortslim;540576 Wrote:
> Still waiting for an update on this post.  The issue presented in this
> quoted post really gets to the crux and heart of one of the sub-issues
> of this entire thread: can a real world person in a real world
> environment with a squeezebox easily discern the difference in quality
> of audio that is alleged to be encoded at better than CD quality of
> 15/44.1?
This is indeed the heart of the matter. But it's not easy to conduct a
reliable test, especially single-handedly.

In addition to the CD and the 24/88.2 download, I've also made three
sets of digital files from the CD: WAV w/o compression, 320Kbps MP3 and
160Kbps MP3.

My system is "real world", NOT audiophile: a Sony AVR and PSB Image 2B
loudspeakers.  (In my audiophile days I owned Quad ESL-57s.)

I've only done a limited amount of comparisons, but I think I can
reliably say that I CANNOT "easily discern the difference in quality of
audio" between the 24/88.2 download and the CD quality WAV file.

More later, especially after I've brought the Touch out to a friend's
house for listening with a high-end system.

--
R Johnson