Yesterday I opened mine up again and tried running without the display
at all (physically removed, no connections at all).

Wow! This made a significant improvement. Way more spaciousness, room
ambience etc. Everything sounds more organic, full bodied etc.

Of course there are some problems, you can't initialize the Touch from
startup or after a factory reset without the display. You also need the
display to turn on remote login. Once you have remote login working you
can do almost everything else, albeit you have to edit configuration
files for most of them.

After hearing what it sounds like without the display its hard to go
back!

This was through the analog outs, It did make some difference on the
digital out but not as much as it did on the analog outs. This was with
a Peachtree Nova which uses the Sabre DAC which is fairly immune to
variances in digital ins, so it might be a bigger difference on other
DACs.

While it was open I decided to try bypassing the output caps. Again
this made an improvement. Not nearly as big an improvement as taking
out the display but still definitely there.

As a reference, with the caps bypassed and the display removed the
analog outs are now better than the DAC in the Nova. I was listening to
the Touch driving the Nova both over coax and analog. Listening to the
preamp outs of the nova. The analog from the Touch was definitely
better. And that had an extra set of interconnects as well.

So the Touch with a linear supply, no display and output caps bypassed
is a REALLY good DAC.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson