JohnSwenson;548991 Wrote:

> The Touch just barely has enough memory to support the player and
> server at the same time. As the number of songs increases the amount of
> memory needed for various internal tables also increases. As memory
> utilization gets close to 100% new memory allocations can push it over
> the limit, at this point the OS has to take some program code out of
> memory so it can be used for data. Then when that particular part of
> program needs to run, its not in memory, so some other chunk of code
> gets thrown out and the original gets copied back in. This really slows
> things down. At some point this doesn't even work and the OS kills the
> process using the most memory which in this case is the server.
>
> John S.

John,

thanks for this explanation, which probably explains why, even after a
successful scan, I still experience problems with 20,000 tracks.

the Touch will play standalone or streaming to just a Radio but is
intermittantly very poor when trying to stream to both synchronised.
This would suggest that the synchronisation code is pushing over the
'memory' limit.

However it sometimes works, so it would suggest that some arbitrary
memory swaps are succesful and some are not, is there anyway to
influence this?

Can non-memory external issues (e.g. wifi) also 'destabilise' the
Touch, e.g. a network induced need to rebuffer overloads the Touch and
the extra memory requirement slows it down and it can't keep up with
the streams and rebuffering then becomes required every few seconds.

I'm short of cash at the moment and not sure whether some Homeplugs to
replace wifi would yield better value than a SheevaPlug?

Mitch

--
DigitalMitch

2 * SB3, 1 * Boom, 2 * SBR, 1 * Radio and 1 * Touch
controlled by IR, SBC [and iPeng on iPhone - wifi died!!]
7.5.0 on WHS on HP MediaSmart (EX470) upgraded to 2G RAM
http://www.last.fm/user/digimich