MadCityGeoff;551294 Wrote:
> My Toshiba external USB drive hibernates after 15 minutes or so. I
> wonder if that has anything to do with the playback problems I'm having
> with the internal server--ALAC files getting cut off, FLAC files
> rebuffering, etc. I looked for a sleep setting on the Touch and didn't
> find anything. Is it possible to turn off the sleep function on my
> Toshiba drive?

There are a couple of issues, its a little difficult to figure out
which is which.

Lets tackle the sleep issue first. IF the drive just spins down but
keeps its connection to the USB port alive there is no problem. You can
test this by seeing of the server is still alive. Don't use it for
awhile and see if its spun down. If yes don't try and play any music,
go to the home menu and select USB, there should then be a selection
for SqueezeboxServer. Select that and it will tell you if the server is
running or not. If it is, drive sleeping is not the problem. If the
server IS stopped, then you have to worry about the sleep setting of
the drive.

If the server is still running you have other issues.

There is a known bug with ALAC files so that is probably whats
happening with the them. The developers are working on it. I think I
heard there is a fix, there are threads on this already, do a search
ALAC and you should find it.

Are the flac files 24/96 files? Some people are having problems with
24/96 flac files that use high compression settings. The high
compression takes more horsepower and can cause problems. Are the flac
files that are causing problems 24/96? Ifr yes this is probably the
problem and can be fixed by re-encoding them to a low compression
level.

If the flac files are 16/44.1 files then it very unusual and we need to
do some investigation to find out whats happening. Let us know as much
information as you can about the files and library. Sample rate, bit
depth, compression level. How big your library is. Do you have artwork
with these files? Is it a separate file or embedded in the file.

Have waited for the scan to complete before trying to play music? Both
initial scan and "quick" scan whenever attaching the drive.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson