iwannatouch wrote:
> Rather than continue to complain that the Touch might not do everything
> I want it to do using just an AC-powered EHD, I decided to see what I
> could do on my end to make this kind of system work. Then I remembered
> I have an HP Pavillion dv6500 (2GB RAM, 140 GB HD) that I haven't used
> since I got an iMac and MacBook Pro last year.

Great plan, use any left over PC you have access to. That particular one
is way overkill, you can get away with something with a 1gHz single
processor and one GB of ram.

What you use for disk storage depends on details. I don't know that
model, but if you can stick disks inside, get a $100 multi-terabyte
drive. If not, a USB, eSata or whatever else your box will support will
work great.

> Would it make sense for me to turn the HP into a music server with the
> VortexBox ISO to use in conjunction with a Touch?

Yes. Depending on how much work you want to do, you can simply install
SqueezeBoxServer on whatever OS is on the box today. It runs on all
Windows since 2000, and Mac, Linux, Unix, etc.

> To be honest, most of this technical stuff is way over my head. All I
> really want is something that gives me reliable access to
> audiophile-quality music files on my stereo system - without having to
> keep my desktop system on 24/7. I should also mention that I have an
> iPod Touch that I can use as a remote with iPeng.

Also check the DIY section of the forum, there are lots of smart folks
there who make really low powered, and often very cheap servers.

I have a Touch, and a lot of other SqueezeBoxen, and while I did test
the Touch's internal server, I have always used an old junker PC as my
server. Been doing so since I got my first SB-1.

One tip: whatever you build, put it near your WiFi router, and use a
real Ethernet cable to the router. You don't want your server to use
WiFi twice.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/