but the hiface is just a DAC correct? Maybe I'm wrong about this.

The touch has a DAC (or can output S/PDIF) AND it serves as the
"soundcard" for playing your audio. Yes, I can connect a DAC to my
computer and play from Computer (and its soundcard) to S/PDIF input to
DAC to analog input of stereo (which is what I did before I had
squeezeboxes).

But with TOUCH (or any SB player) you are not relying on your
computer's internal soundcard at all (and all the bad things in might
be doing regarding resampling from 44.1 to 48, etc.). Instead, the data
is sent to your squeezebox and then turned into audio from there to
either its internal DAC or an external DAC.

p.s. I'm not commenting on all the mods, etc. for using the TOUCH.
different issue. I'm happy with my TOUCH as is, along with my
TRANSPORTER as is.... These are NOT the weak links in my system. My
weak links are speakers and room configuration (wife factors ;-)

--
garym