In a nutshell
1 there is no rational reason why wi fi cannot stream data as
accurately as a wired connection
2 some people think they can hear a difference in the music played by
the different routes through a Touch though.
3 the explanation posited seems to be that the wifi receiver (and
possibly the processor) has to try very hard and that this might make
the touch handle the wireless stream worse than wired ethernet stream
even if the two streams are themselves identical
4 early generation wifi suffered from unreliability and drop out which
lead to the standard mantra being that you shouldn't use wifi for high
quality audio.
5 some people don't hear any difference and attribute the suggestion
that there is a difference to expectation bias. ("Do these big black
speakers sound a) dark, b) bright?")
6 similar considerations apply to a whole raft of other possible tweaks
(offboard flac conversion, turning off extraneous processor functions
etc and possibly to others such as turning off analogue/digital outs).
Personally I listen over wifi because I can't be bothered to re-wire,
and have  separate mains spurs powering the hifi so I doubt powerline
will work. If i go to the trouble of installing cat 5e throughout my
house I probably not bother to A/B afterwards anyway because it will be
too late by then. By my guess even if wired is better
a. you could reproduce the same result by having a second wireless
router thingy wired to the touch. I may try this.
b. most people who currently strongly prefer wired connection would not
like that idea at all for a variety of reasons which will range from
metaphysics to quantum field theory and all of which may be true.
Basically if you don't already know what you think before listening I
bet you will still be unsure after. I

--
adamdea