Thanks, Toby10.  I'm sure you're right about it being a Logitech effect.

The thing I can't work out is that there is an official Logitech Info
Browser Applet that allows one to read RSS etc, but unless you manually
browse through the pages, you can't actually access it. And why would
you want to use a Squeezebox for this kind of web browsing when most
people will have devices better suited? Surely the obvious application
of news feeds is to display the stories in a screen saver when powered
off, just like RSS News Ticker does for Classic.

Perhaps I'll post something on the 'official' forum and see if anyone
from Logitech responds!

--
neilcoburn