moriarty;583808 Wrote:
> I recently purchased a Squeezebox Touch to stream FLAC files from my
> MacBook Pro to my Linn Majik system.
>
> Everything is working fine and sounding great.
>
> However I've been busily ripping my CD collection and my Mac's
> harddrive is starting to fill up ... I need some external storage!
>
> So, can anyone offer recommendations on reliable USB drives to load my
> collection onto and plug directly into the Squeezebox?
>
> Are there any limitations to using a USB drive rather than a NAS?

Yes, several.  The internal server is somewhat limited in
functionality, very slow, and fairly delicate.  It's usable, but just
barely.

With a NAS or other external server you won't have the same
limitations.  Many NAS, though, can also be very slow unless you spend
a fair amount of $ for one with a faster processor.  My usual
recommendation is to skip the NAS and buy or assemble a dedicated
computer to run Squeezebox Server.  An Intel Atom based server will be
both fast enough and a low enough energy draw that you can always leave
it on.  See the DIY and the third party hardware forums for many
discussions of NAS and alternatives.

Also try doing a forum search for the disk drive question.  There are a
couple of other threads discussing this.  The drive will need to be a
2.5" (or smaller) drive if you hope to have it work on the USB port of
the Touch without external power.  The problem most often encountered
is that the Touch fails to supply enough power to spin up some 2.5"
external drives.  Any 3.5" drive will have to have a power supply, and
if the 2.5" drive doesn't work you might need a powered USB hub to
power it.  Seems that people have been most successful with Toshiba
external drives.

--
JJZolx