1) I don't have personal experience with Audioengine 5 speakers, but
from other reports it sounds like they will fill that space
adequately.

2) Yes, they are self-powered so you do not need a separate amp.

3) Someone who has A5s should confirm or refute this, but I do not
think they have a remote, but I believe they are auto-sensing and go
into low-power standby mode when idle for a period of time.

More important (imo), the A5s are ported speakers, so if you enclose
them in a roofing area they may not sound very good. For enclosed
installations you are better off looking at speakers designed for that
purpose. Most of them are not self-powered (which would take you back
to an amp), although there are self-powered in-ceiling speakers. If
instead you mean mounting them on brackets on (and not _in_) the
ceiling or wall then the A5s should be fine. Note that you will need to
think about running power cord as well as the speaker cord, and that you
want to be careful with long runs of line-level cable, especially next
to AC lines. For that matter, if you try to enclose any self-powered
speakers you should be careful about building and electrical codes.

--
aubuti