aubuti;585554 Wrote:
> 1) I don't have personal experience with Audioengine 5 speakers, but
> from other reports it sounds like they will fill that space
> adequately.
>
> 2) Yes, they are self-powered so you do not need a separate amp.
>
> 3) Someone who has A5s should confirm or refute this, but I do not
> think they have a remote, but I believe they are auto-sensing and go
> into low-power standby mode when idle for a period of time.
>
> More important (imo), the A5s are ported speakers, so if you enclose
> them in a roofing area they may not sound very good. For enclosed
> installations you are better off looking at speakers designed for that
> purpose. Most of them are not self-powered (which would take you back
> to an amp), although there are self-powered in-ceiling speakers. If
> instead you mean mounting them on brackets on (and not _in_) the
> ceiling or wall then the A5s should be fine. Note that you will need to
> think about running power cord as well as the speaker cord, and that you
> want to be careful with long runs of line-level cable, especially next
> to AC lines. For that matter, if you try to enclose any self-powered
> speakers you should be careful about building and electrical codes.

I use the A5's in a weekend cabin in a room about 25' x 20' and I can
only turn the volume on the A5's to about 1/4 open. So yes, they will
definitely fill the space.

The A5's are autosensing. If no signal is present they (amp and all)
turn themselves off after some small amount of time (10 or 15 minutes I
think).

I'm not sure these A5's work well if you are enclosing them in a
ceiling. I don't have the info, but I know others use very small "T
amps" that are about the size of a paperback book. These can be stuck
in a ceiling and then feed some decent quality speakers that are made
to be ceiling mounted. This might be a better approach.

--
garym