It is a 'Medion drive-n-go'. I have also a WD Elements 500 GB available
(an older model) for other backup purposes. I could switch the two, but
I prefer to keep the small one dedicated for the SB Touch if possible.

Running a separate server is out of the question. I'd rather make a
selection of music to put on an SD card, since I bought the SDT to get
rid of a laptop, which doesn't look great in a living room and has
considerable start-up time...

(I just started my squeezebox and the harddrive functioned immediately.
I can thus rule out that the harddrive going to 'sleep' is the problem)

Well, I'm off to find a good MP3-tagging program.

--
Ronnus