I had the same exact high hopes when I first got my Touch, so I know the
feelings and fustrations all too well.  Fortunately I wasn't totally
unprepared for the idea of a computer based server, and since I have a
very large library of over 49,000 tracks mostly Apple Lossless, some
96/24 stuff and a few MP3's, I just had a little nagging doubt if it
would handle an external without issue.  And that was BEFORE I even
knew about this forum! So when it started hanging up, I just installed
Squeezebox Server on my desktop and never looked back.  Now after a
really good "Black Friday" sale I have a laptop that is dedicated to
just the server so I don't have to boot up the big unit to hear tunes.
All I've used the USB port for on the Touch is if I happen to get a few
tracks on a stick that I haven't brought into the main server yet.

I had thought about maybe using my "iPod" compressed library with the
Touch alone just to see if that made a difference, but with so many
months without headaches, I don't really want to start rocking the
boat.

--
rayman1701