I have a similar problem with my Touch. My "now playing" screen not only
locks up, but it stops displaying the song info, but the music keeps
playing. It only happens periodically. I can sometimes fix it by
hitting the reset button on the back. But sometimes, I have to
stop/start the Squeezebox server on my PC to get the Touch working
correctly again.

I think I have narrowed my problem down to my backup software. It seems
to happen when that software scans my hard drive for changes. If I
disable my backup software (CrashPlan) while listening to the Touch, I
do not have that problem.

--
Blazer