Hi folks.

As you might know I'm currently looking extensively on the network
side.

I never expected the ether-network to be such a problem. I'm not really
sure if it is the "streaming" associated traffic or just the network
causing the impact.

Last weekend a new - from my perspective - quite serious issue was
discovered.
I wanted a friend of mine to test some networking related modifications
on a Linux based system. He runs a Vista/Ubuntu dual boot setup.

Due to that he had to run some comparisons.

He finally got back telling me whatever he'd do, the Linux sounds ways
worse then Vista.

I said: What?  ( I'm a Linux guy btw.)

Since I also run a dual boot system, I set up my W7. I never thought
I'd have to do that.
Linux is supposed to be working quite well on the server side.
I also prepared a second Linux PC (with newest 2.6.38-rc kernel and
special server-mode (no X) ). I was able to run the test on two
different Linux systems.

All that just to figure out: He's right!!!

Windows sounds clearly better then Linux. That much better that I do
have a problem to boot my Linux server. Better means everything gets
more coherent
again. Less distortions. More depth. Better and more realistic
localizations of instruments etc.

Folks that's bugging me.

Interesting would be to figure out if OSX got the same issue.

Now the question is what to do about it!?!?

potential things to do:

* tweaking whatever parameter settings
* manual compiling the server software
* review the Linux based SB server and associated libraries
* buying a DAC which is immune to anything what's going on further
upstream

Any ideas are appreciated.

People with dual boot setups out there might give it a try.

Cheers

--
soundcheck

'soundcheck's Touch Toolbox 2.0'