soundcheck;607365 Wrote:
> It's not that easy as you might think. And it is not black or white
> either.
>
> You need to differentiate a bit more.
>
> Logitech is not using the soundlayer of any OS on the server side
> (let's not talk about Alsa on the Touch for now).
>
> What I am talking about is the communication towards the streaming
> client, which seems to be less efficient on a Linux system.
> However. It could also be that the Squeezebox Server is not that well
> integrated into the Linux environment.
> It doesn't have to be the Linux itself causing the difference.
>

> If people or manufacturers talking about their preferences, they talk
> about a combination of operating system,
> soundlayer (incl. driver), application and sound device. That's a
> complete different story.
>
> Today OSX sounds good because there is an Amarra or a Channeld
> Pure Music. Those apps are good examples that the application is
> in charge of making sure that the system resources are utilized in
> the best possible way. So, you can't claim OSX sounds bad while
> running iTunes. Because it sounds good while running Pure Music.
> There hasn't been very much focus on this issue neither in the Windows
>
> nor in the Linux world. (nor in the Squeezebox world)
> One of the best sounding app in Windows consumer land is nowadays
> J.River media center. In the early days those guys also belonged to
> fraction of software developpers who didn't see a correlation between
> HW/SW and soundquality/timing variations & jitter.
> They rather were attacking people with different views.
>
> If you talk to the Linux audio crowd nowadays, they'll still tell you
> all
> applications sound the same. No need to do anything about it. Some
> Linux app
> designers (e.g. ecasound/brutefir) focus on very low latencies and
> highly efficient programming.
> Guess what - those apps also sound better - just by accidant.
>
> And that's why Gordon is right - from his perspective. I'd agree that
> OSX app designers have understood. They seem to put more focus on the
> subject then anybody else out there. It doesn't mean though that
> "Windows" or
> "Linux" perform worse then "OSX" in general.
> With a great app those OS might even perfom better than OSX+app - who
> knows.
>

> Cheers

OK, let's assume the worst case scenario: somehow, Squeezebox
integration with Windows wins over any other integration, thus
resulting in better sound. What are we to do now?

The main reason I'm using OSX in my household is so that I don't have
to become a systems and network administrator and constantly worry
about viruses, malware, firewall upgrades, and other shit Windows are
notorious for. If I now have to switch to Windows, what would be the
risks? Had the Microsoft OS matured a bit, and is it now less
susceptible to go bonkers than it was 5 years ago?

--
magiccarpetride