Greg Erskine;607542 Wrote:
> When I monitor my network traffic on my PC I get a continuous 1%
> utilization while each track is playing. At the end of the track
> utilizatiom drops to zero then there is a short spike of 12% or so,
> then it flatlines to 1%.
>
> I assume this is the traffic from PC to router.

As near as I can tell on my Mac, it looks like a similar pattern.  I
assume it is the 'Perl5.10.0' process that's responsible for sending
the data.  While SBS is stopped, there is a continuous 'background'
level of network traffic with a rate of about 75-90 KB/sec.  This must
be other processes that are running, although the computer is
essentially idle.  When SBS is running I see the same background level
for most of the time, so any additional network traffic caused by
having SBS running is all but negligible compared to other background
tasks.

Right at the end of a track this network traffic spikes at around 1.5-2
MB/sec for a few seconds, and the Perl5.10.0 process jumps to around 12%
CPU activity.  It's difficult to tell whether this spike occurs exactly
at the end of the track or 10 seconds before, as I'm guessing that the
activity monitor has a bit of a lag.

So certainly this doesn't point to any obvious reason why network
traffic could have any effect on sound quality during all but the last
seconds of a playing track.

--
chill