I have some preliminary results.

The driver on the Touch released firmware works great. No ticks, pops
etc. I tested this by putting some wav files on an SD card and used
aplay to play them. It was perfect. The async behavior worked
correctly.

BUT when playing from squeezeplay (the Touch player software) I get the
ticks and pops as others have described. So at least I can duplicate the
problem. An adaptive USB device works much better, but still
occasionally has ticks and pops (primarily at the infamous 10 secs
before end of track).

One possibility is that the USB driver uses more cpu resources than the
I2S and S/PDIF drivers, so I tried doing things that use more or less
cpu and got no difference. I tried running off TinySBS rather than the
network and still got exactly the same results. So it doesn't look like
its a generic "cpu load" or network issue.

I then loaded Soundcheck's 2.0 mods to try the buffer size change and
got no sound at all. Aplay could still play, but when the ALSA config
had squeezeplay pointing at the Streamer, nothing, no matter what the
buffer setting. The digital and analog outs still work great with the
2.0 mods in place, its something that just affects the USB driver.

Next I'm going to spend some time looking into what the mods do that
stops it all together and see if that leads to finding out what the
problem is.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson