aubuti;608541 Wrote:
> Pretty easy if it is an interior wall, and more challenging if it's an
> exterior wall because exterior walls tend to be filled with insulation.
> In either case it's good to know if any plumbing or electrical lines run
> in the space you're looking at. A 'fish tape'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_tape) is a handy tool when pulling
> wires through walls.
>
> Personally I hate doing plaster or drywall stuff (my wife hates it more
> when I do it) so I end up using surface mount jacks on the baseboard. I
> terminate the cable using RJ-45 jacks like these
> (http://www.broadbandutopia.com/levquicsnapc1.html). For a simple
> direct connection I use a 'surface mount housing like this'
> (http://images1.cableorganizer.com/leviton/surface-mounts/images/02-2-port.jpg)).
> I think 'flush-mounted wall plates'
> (http://www.vpi.us/catacc-plates.html) look better, but they involve
> cutting into the wall.
>
> Some people don't use any jacks, and instead have a cable with the
> RJ-45 plug sticking out of the wall or floor like a pigtail. Don't do
> that. Not only is it ugly, but using the jacks is much more flexible,
> as you can put the equipment anywhere you want, and then use an
> ethernet patch cord of the correct length to connect to the jacks.

TYVM.  Appreciate the insight/knowledge.  I am not too handy, but my
bro-in-law is somewhat handy (as is my wife... she does all the
drywall, lol).  I'll talk it over with them to see if they think it is
feasible.  The computer room already has an ethernet jack in the wall
that would run down to the touch.  And if fact, the computer is almost
directly above the Touch and the audio system.

--
Howard Turkster