chill;608578 Wrote:
> We should take care not to let this thread fork into another discussion
> of soundcheck's mods, but I think it's worth noting that a possible
> reason for differing opinions on the importance of the connection type
> could simply be that some people are using the RCA analogue outputs,
> and some are using a separate DAC.  If you're using a DAC that's robust
> against jitter and RF interference, then it really doesn't matter how
> you get the bits to the player.  If you're using the RCA outputs, then
> all sorts of other things can possibly come into play.
>
> I'm not sure that enough reports have been explicit about setup to be
> able to draw conclusions about what's a typical experience.

There's no doubt that the correct bits get to the player's buffer no
matter what transport mechanism is used to get them there. But at any
point in the signal path during or after the conversion to analog,
there can be an impact of power supply noise on the quality of the
analog signal, as well as RF pick-up from the built-in WiFi transmitter
on PCB traces on a few cm away from the WiFi antenna. Once RF pick-up at
2.4GHz does occur, it could easily be subject to parasitic rectification
due to any semiconductors in the signal path that have a square-law term
to their non-linearity. WiFi signals are not constant amplitude, unless
you are using 802.11b, so some AM conversion to audio is possible from
the very close proximity WiFi antenna.

So, I would say there are plausible mechanisms within the laws of
physics for sound to be different with WiFi turned on vs. off. Also, if
the processor load changes the drain in the power supply, the ideality
of the d.c. power supply may change in terms or residual ripple and
digital hash, not withstanding that separate digital and analog power
supply regulators are used to isolate them as much as possible.

However, it should be noted that Stereophile's measurements did not
indicate any real sign of trouble, when looking for low levels of noise
and jitter.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/logitech-squeezebox-touch-network-music-player-measurements

JA states at one point: "Finally, the Squeezebox Touch's jitter
performance remained unchanged, whether it was playing the 16-bit
diagnostic Miller-Dunn tone via WiFi or stored on a USB-connected
drive." Of course, he did not try ethernet, but the impact of WiFi
being in use on these very sensitive measurements seems to be very well
controlled indeed. Figure 9 is  measured with WiFi being used as the
data source.

JA didn't specifically go looking for differences between the
performance between the three interfaces (WiFi, ethernet and USB), but
he notably didn't find anything adverse to publish about the
performance using the (arguably) more vulnerable of these.

--
dsdreamer