aubuti;610082 Wrote:
> I'm not saying the Shuttle is particularly noisy. I've never heard one,
> but it's probably much less noisy than the average pc, because it's
> fanless and has a 2.5" HDD. But from the way you have described your
> critical listening (including concerns about "unnecessary noise and
> interference with the digital signal that is flowing into the Touch") I
> wouldn't have imagined you'd have a computer in the room.
>
> Just goes to show: some people can't detect an audible difference
> between wifi and ethernet, and some people can't detect an audible
> difference between the presence or absence of a running computer in the
> room. I know I can detect the latter (if it has a mechanical hard disk).
> Go figure.

I can hear my iMac occasionally whirring in the background, but I don't
feel that interferes with my critical listening. Same as I can hear a
car passing down the street every now and then while I'm focusing on
listening to music. No big deal, human brain is apparently very good at
filtering these noises out (consider attending a live acoustic
performance where people in the audience are coughing, shuffling in
their seats, etc. -- no big deal really, you can easily neglect those
unwanted sounds and remain focused on the music).

What human brain doesn't seem to be able to do well is discerning and
eliminating omnipresent noise and various analog/digital artifacts that
pollute the pristine sound signal during the playback. That is why we
can definitely hear improvements after applying Soundcheck's mods --
these unpredictable and wildly fluctuating analog and digital artifacts
get minimized, and the brain can then focus with more ease on the actual
signal.

This is why lousy systems don't tend to sound pleasing to the ear --
they contain a lot of harsh pollutants that the brain cannot filter
out, which is exactly what we're trying to minimize and eliminate in
these DIY discussion threads.

--
magiccarpetride