The way I usually do it, and I know I could do it other ways but this is
what works for me, is I convert the FLAC's to WAV files then use iTunes
to convert to ALAC.  I've had some wierd tag issues from sites that
I've bought tracks from be it 96/24, 16/44.1, or MP3.  Some places just
do weird things to tags that mess with SBS, so that's how I work around
that issue (if it's an MP3 i just use MP3 Tag), but I'm not sure if
this feels like a tagging problem or not.  I don't know if Foobar would
do any different compression level than iTunes would, I know FLACs have
varying compression levels but I'm not sure if that's true for ALAC or
not.  Try the original FLACs with the Touch to see if they are
playable, and if they are I'd just leave it that way and use the
converted ALAC ones in iTunes.  I know it's a pain to have duplicates,
but sometimes you just gotta do it.  One other thing, you could try the
ALAC files on a USB stick to see if the Touch will play them ok, then it
could be a NAS issue, maybe.  It's always tough to pin these things
down...

--
rayman1701