Just go a Squeezebox Touch, and wanting this too. I've now achieved this
by hacking the code a bit, but it's not the most elegant solution.
Trying to write an applet to do this, once I find out how to properly
code an applet.

I you need this now, connect via SSH to your Touch, and modify the file
/usr/share/jive/applets/SqueezeboxFab4/SqueezeboxFab4Applet.lua

Line 139, replace "getBrightness()" with "settings.minimalBrightness"
Line 229, replace "self:getBrightness()" with "settings.brightness"

Restart. Now, after 10 seconds of not using the Touch, it will dim to
the minimal brightness setting. When using the remote, or touch, it
will set the brightness to the manual brightness setting. It only works
when the brightness detection setting it set to manual.

I hope a I can release a proper plug-in for this, with easy
installation.

--
505