results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=86446
Question: Getting worse

- Yes
- No

This isn't about theory or coding, because it's really about the basics
of database operations. And indirectly about the quality of
experiments. In my field (economics) I also deal all the time with
cases where the theory and the empirics don't always align, and I am
strongly in the empirical camp. But I also know that you have to
understand the theory to ask the right questions, and if you will, do
the right experiments(*).

So, tell me more about your experiments and exactly which variables you
are controlling. In particular, please tell us if you have done this
particular experiment, and what your results were, in as precise terms
as possible.

1) take a blank external USB drive and add a library of nothing but
FLAC, properly tagged. Let TinySBS scan it until done. Then operate in
a normal manner and report results (scan completion rate, scan time,
response time of ui, playback performance, etc.)

2) erase that hard drive and add a library of the exact same properly
tagged FLAC library, except transcoded to 320kbps MP3, being sure that
the tags get added. Let TinySBS scan it until done. Then operate in a
normal manner and report results (scan completion rate, scan time,
response time of ui, playback performance, etc.)

3) erase that hard drive and add a library of the exact same properly
tagged FLAC library, except transcoded to 64kbps MP3, being sure that
the tags get added. Let TinySBS scan it until done. Then operate in a
normal manner and report results (scan completion rate, scan time,
response time of ui, playback performance, etc.)

By your hypothesis that file size is the determining factor, scanning
and other operations should get progressively better and faster.

(*) Possible variants are (a) use 3 different hard drives, as long as
they are the exact same model, and (b) you can have other data on the
disk, as long as it is the exact same for each of the treatments
(1)-(3).

Let us know how that experiment turns out, as well as any others you
have run, and then we can discuss more productively where you have
found a fault in the code.

--
aubuti