results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=86446
Question: Getting worse

- Yes
- No

Everyone

Purchased Touch less than a week ago. Main reason was for the local USB
storage. Had nothing but problems until i was informed of Touch nightly
software builds. Having gone through numerous filesystems/formats, I
now have a 500Gb external usb drive formatted as NTFS and there are no
issues with playback.

Beyond me that the unit would have arrived with such outdated firmware
- server software. Had a sticker been put on the informing me of the
nightly builds, I could have saved myself a few days of frustration.

I tested a half dozen drives - am wondering if there will be native
support for Apple's HFS+ filesystem, sometimes if incorrectly referred
to  as MacOS Extended Journaled.

The Squeeze OS is running on an embedded Linux system and Linux can
mount a HFS+ journaled disk. The disk needs to unmounted properly from
OS X, so the journal is empty, and then on the Linux side of the
equation, the mount has to be forced, so it can be both read and write
and not read-only.

The trick is to make sure the journal is empty (clean unmount on the
OSX side) and to force the mount. Normally Linux will mount it
read-only with a command similar to this:

mount -t hfsplus -o rw,force /dev/sdx1 ds

It would be far more convenient for Mac users to have this support and
I believe HFS+ is far more lenient with respect to file names and
sizes.

--
davidavdavid