It's a common misconception that an external server has to be "on all
the time". It would only have to be on when you want to listen to music
from your own collection. Other times it can be
suspended/hibernated/shutdown. Then the server can be brought back to
life by a simple WOL signal from the Touch.

applets are different from plugins, and both of those are different
from apps.
* Applets run directly on the more recent Squeezeboxes, ie, the ones
that use SqueezeOS (Controller, Radio, Touch).
* Plugins run on the regular SBS server; they don't run on TinySBS or
mysb.com.
* "Apps" aren't really apps at all. These are the services such as
RadioTime, Slacker, Shoutcast, etc. To be honest, I'm not sure what
they "run" on, but they're available via SBS, TinySBS, and mysb.com.

I would suspect that interest appears low because most users connect to
an external server and/or mysb.com. Among the minority like you that
rely solely on TinySBS, many probably don't use the clock function. And
the subset that does use the TinySBS + clock arrangemetn are always late
getting to where they're supposed to be.

--
aubuti