Hi michaelbuday
I have only had my Squeezebox Touch for a couple of weeks and am also
connecting media via USB rather than via ethernet. This may not
directly answer your question about why you get "scrambled" tracks but
you could try my approach.
When my external hard-disk drive is connected to my PC, I use Media
Monkey (there's a free version) to create a library of all the media on
the drive. I have found this necessary because CDs ripped to the
hard-disk drive, they are not always internally consistent and MM has
some useful tools for spotting inconsistencies. Before I used this
drive, I also did a full surface-scan (with the free MiniTool Partition
Wizard Home Edition) and I have been frequently defragging it (try
Defraggler). I don't know whether this helps or not but it reduces
potential problems.
My PC and Squeezebox are linked by a wireless network from my router,
so when I reconnect the drive to SB, I go right through the set-up
routine, checking the USB is connecting, re-selecting the wireless
network etc. Recently, it couldn't find individual files, so of course
I turned everything off, went to bed and in the morning restarted
everything and bingo there all the tracks were in the right place.
I don't really understand how the version of squeezebox server on my PC
and the SB interact, but this method seems to work.
Paul

--
PaulEast