Problem solved. Mostly.

I managed to browbeat NAD into allowing me to update the firmware
myself, and everything's working okay now.

I still get the openings of albums clipped off as when the player is
re-awoken it seems to not be putting out a signal. 44.1k is maintained
for a few seconds between tracks, so the receiver maintains lock.

I know there's a setting in the web controls that delays initial
playback for a second or two to allow lock on to happen before
playback. Can this somehow be selected for USB playback?

Failing that, a simple plugin that played inaudible noise for a second
or two before the first track after sleep seems like an easy fix.

--
Ladyfingers