Ladyfingers;647124 Wrote:
> An AVS forumite says that the problem is that the Squeezebox S/PDIF
> output lacks clock frequency synchronisation.
>
> I don't know if this can be remedied with a plugin, or if it's possible
> to buy an S/PDIF repeater that somehow adds sync.
>
> Any ideas?
I read that thread on the official NAD forum - it's nonsense (sorry).

The Touch does of course have an internal clock (two of them in fact!)
and it is the NAD that is supposed to recover the clock from spdif...

The fault lies with the NAD - it would appear to be related to the fact
that the NAD (as with most AV receivers) needs time to lock/decode the
signal to know if it is stereo PCM, DD, dts etc. This will require a
firmware fix to the NAD.

The input circuits of most (all?) modern receivers are really optimised
to handle multi-channel PCM and stereo is unfortunately handled as an
afterthought.

The Touch has been extensively tested and altered during Beta to ensure
that its spdif handling is correct. There was a nasty bug (long fixed)
that caused the pcm to revert to 44.1 during track transitions/pause
etc even when the track playing was not 44.1 - this caused problems for
some DAC's... clicking noises etc.

Many DAC's have muting circuits (various designs) that will kill the
analogue output if lock is lost - this is necessary because the noise
that is produced otherwise is very objectionable.

So the fact the NAD display "PCM" indicator is going on/off does NOT
mean that the spdif signal lock is being lost, it means that the NAD is
re-evaluating the nature of the incoming spdif stream to determine its
format (DD, dts etc). It would appear that this process is being
triggered by the arrival of (even the briefest moment of) digital
silence... and it is taking too long!

My M1 DAC (and X-Dac) lock and hold lock perfectly through gapless
track transitions, pause and stop conditions.

By the way, that thread mentions the Benchmark DAC and plenty of those
are in use by forum members here - no-one has reported a problem
AFAIK.

Do you have any truly gapless albums - maybe live albums? - what
happens between those tracks when you play them back? - you should hear
a seamless transition...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.