It certainly won't sound any worse :-).

I own an E11 amp and I'm really happy with it.  It is very quiet and
has some good oomph to it.  The headphone out on the SB3 was noisy
which I know from experience.  I never tried the headphone out on the
Touch, but I suspect it won't be as quiet as the E11.

What headphones do you have?  If they are high impedence, you would
definitely benefit from an outboard amp.

FiiO does have a desktop amp in their lineup (E9) which may be better
suited to your setup.  The E11 is nice sounding, but the one thing I
don't like is the volume control is stiff and requires you to hold the
amp with one had as you turn the volume knob with the other.  This
isn't too much of a problem in a portable application, but it is really
annoying in a home setup.  You wouldn't have this issue with the desktop
amp.

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod
Touch.  SuSE 11.0 Server running SqueezeBoxServer 7.5.5, MusicIP, and
SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 37,509 songs, 2,934 albums, 515 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior