If the random number generator should be badly implemented than
certainly many unexpected things can happen.
But be aware that "real" randomness is usually not what normal people
expect from a "random" sequence. In mathematics it's a know problem
that "real" random number generators always produce some clustering if
you do not go to extremely long sequences. That must be like this
because there is a certain probability of clusters. What normal people
would expect from a "random" sequence looks pretty equally distributed.
But that is not random! If one wants something that is almost random but
still close to equally distributed one has to use quasi-random
generators, e.g. Halton sequences. I certainly would prefer a more
equal distribution in my "random" playlists...

Cheers
Frank

--
frank_from_hh