h...@nwtec.com;661087 Wrote:
> To both Garym and Toby10:
>
> Many thanks for thoughts...
>
> I listen primarily to classical stations and I can usually tell "good"
> recordings from "poor" ones. 128 bps is the minimum I can tolerate,
> although IORadioclassical (128) can present crisp sound and good
> soundstaging. The AVRO stations are all good as is RWN Classical (also
> Dutch...). Linn is great sounding, but does not play whole pieces,
> which I find really annoying.
>
> I do use a a DAC (non-oversampling Red Wine Audio, optical out from the
> SB3) through a passive pre (Creek OBH-12) to a Will Vincent  ST-70.
> Speakers are Klipsch Heresys with Bob Crites' crossover, tweeters, mids
> and woofers and home-made beefed up cabinets.
>
> We use the SB3 mostly when reading. For "concert mode" listening we use
> the OPPO CD/DVD or Thorens turntable. Occasionally we get lazy  and let
> the SB3 run...
>
> Hap

With the DAC I'm even more sure you'd likely not gain any audio
performance. Then again, with the right DAC, many have suggested that
the touch can match or better the audio of $20,000+ CD transports. With
that and lossless files, you might find yourself going to the cd player
less often.  ;-)

--
garym

System 1: Vortexbox Appliance (1.10) > SbS 7.6.2 > Transporter, Touch,
Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
System 2: Win7(64) laptop > SbS 7.6.2 > Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio and laptop)
Retired: SB3, Duet Receiver
Controlled at both locations with: iPhone (iPeng), iPad (iPengHD &
SqueezePad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.6 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Additional Tagging - mp3tag