mlsstl;661228 Wrote:
> "Why does it work?" has answers at two extremes. At one end, the
> equipment change resulted in some technical improvement - perhaps lower
> interference or noise - that you're now hearing.
>
> At the other end, it could be all in your head.
>
> In the middle, it could be a combination of those factors.
> [snip]
> Otherwise, if you're happy and the expenditure is within your budget,
> then just enjoy the sound. At that level, the exact cause doesn't
> really matter.What an excellent reply! Could not have put it better myself.

On a more specific point, the old PSU could well be adding noise into
the system either through the Touch's analogue out or by adding
interference or noise to the preamp input. Somebody else here posted
that they got round the latter problem by putting the Touch on a noise
filtered power strip separated from the rest of his hi-fi. Probably
cheaper than a new linear PSU although it does not help remove noise
from the Touch's analogue circuits. It would work though if you are
using the Touch digital out and a DAC.

I am sure I would never be able to hear the difference myself.  Lacking
those "golden ears" makes things a lot cheaper all round!

--
TheLastMan

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology DS107+ NAS (with firmware 2.3-1157) running
Squeezebox Server 7.5.1 on Synology Package Manager
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline.