Just as an update to my earlier problems. By a great deal of
perseverance and sheer doggedness I managed to upgrade the firmware to
7.7 9550. When this firmware is installed, a timeout occurs when
mysb.com access fails on initial setup.
You are then prompted to connect to an alternative server . In my case
the Media Server, which is what I wanted to do in the first place, but
was stopped by the early firmware version as delivered.
I have now carefully added the new Touch and my existing Squeezboxes
all into the system and everything appears to be OK. Except, of course,
I still can't get it to connect to Mysb.com, but I don't care.
I do wonder how old some of the PCWorld stock was, that such an early
version of the firmware was installed.

I got quite excited when I learned that the Touch could also be a
server for itself and my other 2 Squeezeboxes, but the drawbacks
outweighed the advantages of this approach. As it is limited to less
than 10,000 tracks and needs an externally powered USB hard drive, plus
the extremely slow performance when initially reading the 120G drive
means it's not viable option for me.

--
Lesu