Dead Cell;678816 Wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm looking to buy a QNAP NAS which will stream FLAC and MP3 files to
> my Touch and also AVI and MKV files to a Dune Media Player which I'm
> yet to buy.
>
> My question is which QNAP NAS is the best for my needs?
>
> I won't need to stream music and video at the same time, it will only
> be one or the other but my biggest concern is being able to play FLAC
> files without any problems.
>
> I currently use a Seagate Freeagent Go 300GB USB Powered Hard Drive
> connected to my Touch and only after the last couple of firmwares
> updates have I been able to actually play Flac and MP3 files from this
> hard drive, previous to that it would never work consistently and would
> always have issues connecting to the USB Device and even when connected
> it wouldn't play.
>
> I've been told that a NAS server would be a much better option.
>
> Also is the QNAP the best option for a NAS? Anything better/easier
> possibly even cheaper out there?
>
> Please bare in mind I have no Linux skills so would prefer not to hack
> or carry out commands etc.
>
> Hope to hear from you guys,
>
> Many thanks in advance.

not a qnap, but a vortexbox appliance is powerful, uses low power, is
quiet, and can serve music and video. It is linux, but has a webGUI
overlay that doesn't require the user to know anything about linux.
Also has a very helpful forum for any questions that come up. I have
two and I'm a happy user.

--
garym

Location 1: VB Appliance 6TB (1.10) > LMS 7.7.1 > Transporter, Touch,
Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
Location 2: VB Appliance 3TB (2.0) > LMS 7.7.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC
I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.7.1 > SqueezePlay
Retired: SB3, Duet Receiver
Controllers: iPhone (iPeng), iPad (iPengHD & SqueezePad), CONTROLLER,
or SqueezePlay 7.7 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Additional Tagging - mp3tag