Vic Damone;693270 Wrote:
> Hello, my first post here.
>
> I have a new SB Touch and I'm currently using a 2012 i5 Mac Mini ->
> ethernet -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Wifi -> SB Touch -> analog output
> RCA ->preamplifier ->
>
> In a few weeks I'll be using Airport Extreme -> WiFi -> SB Touch
> ->SPDIF -> SPDIF DAC  -> RCA ->
>
> My question is, compared to inputting to the SB Touch from the Airport
> Extreme WiFi (which seems to be getting very good reception at the SB
> Touch) would it be appreciably better to input by a long ethernet run
> from the Mac Mini or by using the USB input from a devise located
> nearer the SB Touch?
>
> If it's the USB option, are there other options other than another Mac
> Mini?
>

> Vic

The ethernet cable would really need to go back to your router not the
mac mini for a standard install.  But if the wifi is working well I
wouldn't bother. There is no "quality" difference between ethernet or
wifi. Both are delivering bits to the Touch. The only reason some
prefer ethernet (including me) is that wifi is more prone to
interference, nearby wifi networks, etc.  But if you have these
problems they are not marginally reducing your audio quality...they
would instead cause disconnections, buffering, etc. It is not subtle.

--
garym

*Location 1:* VB Appliance 6TB (1.10) > LMS 7.7.1 > Transporter, Touch,
Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VB Appliance 3TB (2.0) > LMS 7.7.1 > Touch > Benchmark
DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.7.1 > SqueezePlay
Retired: SB3, Duet Receiver
Controllers: iPhone (iPeng), iPad (iPengHD & SqueezePad), CONTROLLER,
or SqueezePlay 7.7 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Additional Tagging - mp3tag