tufty;693474 Wrote:

> Some music has a large negative gain (some modern pop I have seen is
> -12dB). Perhaps this was the issue?

Thanks for the reply!  Yes, I imagine it was, it was one of the hotter
albums in the collection (a Fuel CD from the early 2000's.)  Though the
need to go to 60% volume versus 25% volume seemed to be consistent with
replaygain on.   That was without "fixed volume" turned on, though, and
the volume slider was fairly low.  Since RG should work with "Fixed
Volume" as you say, I'm guessing the low volume issue was due to the
slider setting.

The caveat is that using Foobar on a PC through a USB DAC on my
loudspeaker system, there's also a notable drop in most CDs with RG on,
so yes, it should be quieter with RG.  The trouble is, now, it's not
actually doing that at all!

So, for you, with "Fixed Volume (100%) on, setting the gain on/off
definitely has a detectable impact?

> Have not experienced this... I would check the menu on the touch (in
> Settings) to make sure the setting has taken.

Yes, the setting took.  Even with "Fixed Volume" on, if you switch
between "album" (or "track" or "smart") to "none" and back do you
notice a volume difference in real-time?  I did at first, but now there
is no change.  When I go back to the setting is still selected where I
left it.  If I hit it again, or hit another option there is no change
in volume.

> You will see these tags regardless of the settings.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean that it meant the settings were working, I
mentioned that just in case anyone's suggestion was going to be "maybe
the SqueezeCenter server lost the RG tags and needs to be rescanned."
I'd thought of that myself which is why I verified that already.

RG does work with FLAC right? It occurred to me that somewhere I saw
some version of the server was transcoding FLAC instead of playing it
back...but I think that was pre-Touch.  My server is set to deliver
FLAC as FLAC.

> It works just fine with the digital outputs. Sorry I can't pinpoint your
> exact problem.

It's an odd problem.  Especially since I "broke" it within three hours
of owning it and the settings reset from either side didn't fix it.

I'm convinced that I must be overlooking something, or maybe there's a
format difference and the first time I just stumbled into .ogg or
something it worked on but it isn't working with FLAC or something.
Though I think in my testing I went back to the album that it initially
worked on.

--
IEMCrazy3