I've tracked it down to the VortexBox being the problem.

I've been wrestling with it for 6 months now, it never works for more
than a couple of days. Something always screws up.

On the Vortexbox I constantly have to reboot it, or correct settings
that mysteriously got reset. I can't just listen to music. First I have
to wrestle with it for a half an hour, and even then I'm lucky it will
work.

So I've decided to simply use the backup hard drive as the library, and
just use the VBox for ripping and file management, and occasionally
backup to the USB. By doing this it's one less component that needs to
talk to the router.

A bit of a punt for sure, but at least it fricking works. I just want to
hear some music, I don't relish the constant struggle.