Ok, tested 88,2 and 196. Both work fine with the V-Link 196 fed from the
USB port of the Touch (the right indicators light up and no problems
with sound). 24/196 did not work before letting the Touch decode the
flac file though. It played much too slow when the server decoded the
file.

dBPoweramp would not let me convert to 176,4 but I'd guess that works
too.

No hub needed. It actually doesn't work well with a hub. Pops and
clicks. I tested because I wanted to see if a powered hub would make it
easier for the Touch to drive the V-link and thus perhaps sound better.