I spent a frustrating day yesterday building a new QNAP NAS... upgrading
from the 659 to the 1079 .... for some reason, the SBT kept on asking to
upgrade the firmware the 772... then downgrading to 661.... and the EDO
wouldn't work.....

about 10 pm last night I realised I had installed the QPKG from the
admin page of the QNAP... however, the latest version can only be found
on the QNAP forums.....
(http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=35740) once I applied the
correct QPKG, the SBT stopped asking me to upgrade/downgrade the
firmware and the EDO is back working perfectly......

for other QNAP users... use the forums... not the QNAP admin page....
lesson learned!