aubuti wrote:
> I haven't used the EDO software so I don't know how it is packaged, but
> the simpler and more effective solution for backing up beta 7.8.0 is to
> download the 7.8.0 package and then save it and back it up with all the
> other files on your pc. Back when I was regularly running nightly betas
> that's what I would do -- just in case a nightly release would blow up I
> could always rollback to an earlier beta from the stash on my hard
> drive. And it's much easier to restore that way than it would be from a
> backup image of the Touch, for the reasons John S gave.

Thanky aubuti and Mnyb. However, maybe I am a bit slow, but still not
fully convinced. Do I understand you right: You just to store all the
files that are accessible over SSH the firmware as it is found on
http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.8.0/ and the server
files on http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.8 .

However, will this enable you to restore everything, if for some reason,
the update servers or whatever is on the internet are not accessible
through the touch? In particular, Firmware / Kernel, Installed Apps...?

What bothers me a bit is, that a factory reset does obviously only
revert settings and apps back to default, but not the firmware. So what
if a nightly firmware or an experimental Kernel messes up the touch, so
that the internal restore tool does not work anymore? How can the thing
be reinstalled from scratch?

As far as I understand, this is simply a piece of gear made to live as
long as Logitech supports it, and one has to live with that.