On 1 July 2012 00:22, garym <garym.5ez...@no-mx.forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> All products are eventually extinct. My 1979 apple II works fine.
I don't know about you, but I'd have no problem replacing an Apple II.
I really wouldn't know what to replace my Squeezeboxes with, though.
The HTPC could do it, of course, but compared to the SBs it's flakey
and computer-y.

On 1 July 2012 07:09, jean2 <jean2.5f0...@no-mx.forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> I've been using the Touch with a USB drive for the last two years, and
> I've just bought one for my parents that will run similarly. I can tell
> you that over two years, there have been consistent improvements
> to the stand-alone support, both in speed and reliability,
That's great, but it still isn't "there", it seems. Still, at least
there's *some* development, so yay!

> whereas many other bugs have not been addressed.
See, and that's not so great, at least not for people like me who
don't use their SBs stand-alone at all. It'd be nice if they threw the
core audience / loyal fan base a bone once in a while. (Triode doesn't
count ^^)

> In the consumer market pricing is dictated by volume more than
> anything else, to be able to sell at $300, they need significant
> volume. Without all those various those features increasing volume,
> we would be most likely paying Transporter price for the Touch.
I really don't think that's true. The original Slim Devices outfit
made a profit, too, even at the comparatively tiny scale they were
operating at, yet the Squeezeboxes weren't more expensive. (Ok, I
haven't factored in inflation, so maybe a little.) Seems to me that
all volume dictates is Logitech's profit margin.
IIRC the Transporter could have profitably been sold at <$1k but they
upped the price to match the audiophile market's expectations ^^.