well, i said id report back when it stopped working properly, so......
here i am again :-)

im having the same problems again.  i can play locally stored music.  i
go to play 6 music and it just says fetching track details and hangs.
if i go back to favourites and choose onmysqueezebox,com it says theres
an ip problem.  i did as you mentioned before and set up the 'test 6
music' favourite and changed server and tried it.  it didnt work.  yet
it did work on the original 6 music station stored there insted.  so i
did get it working for a few seconds before going back to see if it
would do it again.

same prob on my local server.  went back to try the SB server again in
networking, and again, itll play the original 6 music favourite, but not
the test 6music.  so..... im playing it at present, but it hasnt sorted
my problem.  id like to be able to sort it so i understand it and stop
having to ask on forums :-)

this is my ip situation.......

if i go to control panel on the laptop server and diagnostics, LMS
server ip is 192.168.1.2
mysqueezebox.com server ip is 176.34.103.98. all the pings are ok.

information tab says my logitech media server status, server ip address
is 127.0.0.1

on the touch itself, i go to settings, advanced, diagnostics, server
info and mysqbox.com ip address keeps changing every few seconds.

in general info my firmware version says 7.7.2 r9663
in settings, advanced, squeezebox info it says LMS 7.7.2 r3389

i get mixed up with all these ip addresses and what they relate to, but
wondered if any of this makes any sense to you? i just want it to work!!
:-/

thanks for helping me.