After a fresh install of EDO and TT3.0 I just gave SBGK settings a try.
This time I'm not getting any freeze ups and it's sounding good
(perceived or real)

However Touch firmware has yet to update to 7.8 and as a consequence
when I try to play 24/192 files I lose the signal altogether and need to
restart LMS even to play reg files.

I tried logging on to MySqueezebox.com and changing LMS settings to
enable checking/downloading of software updates but it's still stuck at
7.7.2

Another interesting thing is that when I open LMS Avast pops up a
"suspicious file" warning and I need to manually "OK" it.