I am new here and I have just found this little App. Thank you very much
for this, Triode! For a long time I was searching for a streamer –
beside the LINN machines – that can handle 24/192 and Gapless. Now with
your App the SBT with external DAC is able to do both, fantastic :)

I have just checked it with two DACs, a quite cheap ASUS Xonar Essence
One and a quite expensive Grace Design m903. With both DACs the sound
via the coaxial S/P-DIF seems to be as good as one can expect it from
the DACs in the best case. Therefore I think the jitter of the SBT
output is not very high. But it seems to be important to use a galvanic
isolation on the digital connection. The m903 has very good transformers
at its inputs and for the ASUS I use an external box, there the
improvement on sound is quite significant.

I tried the USB-Audio mode, too. This seems to be more difficult than
the digital output. With a little trick – after first installation a
quick switch-on/switch-off – the ASUS worked, but only @192k. It was not
possible to correctly switch the sample rate resp. then the sound was
distorted. 44,1 was sometimes played back as 48k, 48k as 44,1 or as 96k,
96k as 48k … or it always remained @192k.

With the m903 there was no playback possible at first. Then I tried a
simple bus powered Hub-Cable between SBT and m903. Now it works fine
incl. sample rate switching. Only, other than expected, the sound seems
to be not really better than with S/P-DIF. But I have to do further
checks… Maybe the PLL of the Grace incl. the input trafo is a very good
solution for S/P-DIF and thus a further improvement by asynchronous USB
is not possible. On the other side I suppose that the ASUS would show
improvements with USB because its PLL is not very good. Has anyone an
idea why switching of sample rate does not work? Using the Hub as I did
with the Grace does change nothing.

Best, Ralf